Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is any material discarded from homes that may threaten human health or the environment when disposed of improperly. Allowing HHW to get into storm drains can cause harm to the environment, pets and your children. Putting HHW down the storm drains, on the ground, in the trash, or down the sink or toilet can contaminate our water. Do your part! Take your HHW to the household hazardous waste facility nearest you listed below. Remember, never put household hazardous waste in storm drains. We need to work together to keep our water clean.
Did you know?
Every day items that you have in your homes are considered household hazardous waste. Things like:
- Paint and paint thinners
- Bleach and other cleaners
- Computer monitors and TVs
- Car products – batteries, anti-freeze, brake fluid, etc.
- Aerosols – hairspray, deodorant, etc.
- Photo chemicals
- Pool chemicals
- Fertilizers, pesticides, and other toxic gardening chemicals
- Thermometers, switches, thermostats, and bulbs contacting mercury
Household Hazardous Waste Facilities
Residents can safely discard a wide variety of household hazardous wastes to their local Household Hazardous Waste Facility at no charge. Must be a resident or qualified small business in specified portion of County to use these facilities (e.g. must be resident or qualified small business in West County to use West County Facility). Click the appropriate link below for information regarding the materials accepted at the facility serving your area (only some of the HHW types listed above are accepted at these facilities and it varies by facility). Please call facility for details about their hours, transportation limits and delivery requirements.
Central County Facility: Central Contra Costa Sanitary District HHW
4797 Imhoff Place, Martinez
East County Facility: Delta Diablo Sanitation District HHW
2550 Pittsburg-Antioch Highway, Antioch
West County Facility: West Contra Costa Integrated Waste Management Authority HHW (RecycleMore)
101 Pittsburg Ave., Richmond
Links & Downloads
- Schedule of Free Home Composting workshops
- "Do it Yourself Drip" Irrigation
- "Do it Yourself" Water Barrel
- "Water Wise" Gardening in Contra Costa County Website
- Slow the Flow Video on How to Reduce Stormwater Runoff by Smart Landscaping
- Bay Friendly Landscaping & Gardening Coalition
- Pool & Spa
- Mercury & Wildlife
- Green Businesses
- Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
- Household Products Database
- Pest Management