New in MRP 3.0
New C.3 Requirements
The San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board has adopted the third reissuance of the Municipal Regional Stormwater Permit, or MRP 3.0. This reissuance includes significant changes and additional requirements in Provision C.3. Summary of key changes below.
Effective July 1, 2023:
- Impervious surface threshold for most projects will drop from 10,000 to 5,000 sq ft, including for new roads and the addition of a travel lane to an existing road.
- New categories of regulated projects include:
- Road and sidewalk repair projects ≥ 5,000 contiguous sq ft
- Road reconstruction and pavement widening ≥ 1 contiguous acre
- Detached single family home that creates or replaces ≥ 10,000 sq ft
Please note that the C.3 Guidebook and related resources referenced in this site are in the process of being updated to reflect new permit requirements. Stay tuned!
Quick Resources on C.3 Updates in MRP 3.0:
For Developers, Engineers, Planners, Project Applicants
- "Updated Stormwater Management Design Requirements: New Development/Redevelopment Projects" (PDF)
- 2-page factsheet/handout by CCCWP (September 2022)
- This external handout can be distributed electronically and at public planning counters.
For Contra Costa Permittee Municipal Staff
- "Memorandum: Key Updates in MRP 3.0, Provision C.3 New and Redevelopment" (PDF)
- 5-page memo with four guidance attachments by CCCWP (September 2022)
- Contra Costa Permittees can distribute this Memo to Municipal Staff involved in parcel and ROW-based CIP projects and ROW maintenance projects for the following activities:
- Plan Review
- Parks and Recreation
- Planning Development Entitlements
- Environmental Reviews
- "MRP 3.0: Development Projects Requiring LID Treatment for Stormwater" (PDF)
- 1-page table of Regulated Projects (June 2022), also available as Attachment 1 to the memo above.